Monday, July 8, 2019

Tuesday 13th July 1971 - Who Says Men Can't Multi-task!



I did the milk around the lovely tree lined streets of Morningside. Once I'm up I enjoy being out 'n about on a lovely summer's morning; I like this time of the day; it's got a different feel to it. The birds are in full voice and singing away, particularly the blackie. It's already warm and light; the world is still quiet but slowly coming to life with all the potential of a full day in front of me. I love the sensation of the physical exercise hopping on 'n off the milk float darting up 'n down the garden paths with either silver, red or gold tops; it's great building up a wee sweat and enjoying the feeling of being lean, fit and athletic; I'm definitely in my prime. It's all enhanced by knowing that I don’t have to go into school; it's something parked away on the horizon in August or the Twelfth of Never! 


After some cornflakes 'n milk I went down to the garage to put in another shift at the National Garage. When you’re multi-tasking on the work front somehow the variety makes it feel like it's not really work at all plus it's all new and novel. My wee kiosk on the forecourt is great; I have to nip out every now and then to serve petrol to the customers. You tend to feel a wee bit more of an expert with the women customers than the men but they're all very pleasant to me and you get an occasional tip too. 

Mid-afternoon I went down to Baird's Newsagents. Pamela Baird was very pleased with me as yesterday I'd sold every single Edinburgh Evening News around the City Hospital wards. It's a good feeling getting positive feedback. It makes you want to get out there and deliver the goods again to get more praise. I suppose that's what they call motivation but I think it's more than that, because I like pleasing people through doing something for them. 


I don't know why but late afternoon I felt very sick; it wasn't a nice feeling' perhaps I maybe had too much sun. However I made a decent recovery as Ali Douglas and I have been out looking for the 'icey'. Whilst we were doing that we went down to the dodgy Rowntree's vending machine. Ali got three extra packets whilst I got one. We eventually found the 'icey' but only after searching Tony's down, way up at Oxgangs Farm Drive.

1 comment: