Thursday, July 11, 2019

Thursday 1st July 1971 - My 15th Birthday


Well I'm no longer 14 and a half as it's my 15th birthday today. I kicked off the morning with my paper round but of course I didn’t venture into Boroughmuir School; after all it is the second last day of term not to mention my birthday! 

Mum and Dad on honeymoon Islay September 1955

I'd be stretching it a bit to say it was a birthday present but Mum and Dad's divorce came through. Rather strange and poignant that it should be on the date of their first born's birth-day; life’s gone full circle. On a happier note I did very well for my birthday. 



I got Aunt Heather's typewriter so perhaps I might do some writing; also a wee transistor radio which will be handy to listen to Tony Blackburn to in the morning when I'm out 'n about doing my paper round and also for listening to the football and Radio Luxembourg in the evening. 


I also got Rags to Riches by Elvis; it’s a great track; and also a fiver from Dad. In the evening we all enjoyed a wee birthday tea with Nana’s fantastic home-made chocolate birthday cake, always a highlight. We all had a good game of football after tea. The day was finished off with a poke of chips from Rissi's; not a bad birthday at all; actually it was a pretty good one all round.

No comments:

Post a Comment