Friday, July 12, 2019

Friday 23rd July 1971

I got the 6.00am number 16 bus down to Morningside and joined the rest of the milk crew. It was absolutely pouring with rain; in fact it stayed on for the rest of the day. Half-way through the round I was drookit but it was actually quite refreshing on a summer's morning scampering from the milk float back 'n forward along the garden paths as well as up 'n down a few stairs too. And being the summer holidays it wasn’t as if I was having to turn up later at Boroughmuir all bedraggled. 

Iain Hoffmann (6/2 Oxgangs Avenue) and Ali Douglas (8/3)

Ironically probably because of the rain Iain and Ali Douglas went off to Warrender Baths to get wet inside rather than outside. 


Although I cycled down to Bairds Newsagents in the afternoon it was so wet I decided just to leave my bike at the shop. I'll collect it the morn; so I instead took a number 41 bus up to the City Hospital to sell the Edinburgh News' around the wards. 


I then just walked home squelchin' all the way back to Oxgangs Avenue through the hospital woods across the burn and through Colinton Mains Park. I was so flipping wet I could have lain down in the burn and it wouldn’t have made any difference! Mum and John are away to the Dom (Dominion Cinema) to see When 8 Bells Toll. So it was a wee T.V. evening for me and a large poke of Rissi's chips whilst I dry out for at least the third time today. Simon the cat is on my lap so that's helping to speed up the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment