Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Summer of '69

During the 1960s I only ever had one summer holiday.

And it was serendipitous. 

As usual we were down at our grandparents' house at 45 Durham Road Portobello on the last Sunday in June. The following day, the start of the Edinburgh Trades Fortnight, they were setting off with my aunt to the Highlands for a few days holidays.



Perhaps I'd remarked on what fun that sounded and just like that two days short of my 13th birthday  it was decided I should go along with them in the big grey Ford Zephyr. 

So, the following morning the trip began with the thrill of crossing the Forth Bridge. And from there we travelled up the old A9 which at that time ran through the centre of each of the small towns and villages in the Highlands. With its bench seats I was able to enjoy sitting in the front taking in the road ahead.



Forth Road Bridge Toll Photograph SPL

Talk about it being a small world but I recall spotting their near neighbours the Brashes from further up Durham Road, travelling south from their annual golfing holiday in Nairn; I gave them a friendly wave which came as a happy surprise to them. 




We stayed for a night or two at a Mrs Stewart's bed 'n breakfast in Newtonmore. For me this was completely novel including joining other holidaymakers at breakfast. Perhaps one of the reasons for staying there was because they accepted dogs although I suspect back in the day most establishments did this.



And come the next few evenings having just turned 13 I enjoyed the independence of going along to a local cafe where there was a jukebox; without trying to attract attention I casually played and replayed Peter Sarstetds' Frozen Orange Juice.


William Robertson (Gaga) and the author Lunan Bay July 1969

On the return journey to the capital we came back via Montrose and the wonderful Australia like sandy beach at Lunan Bay.

The summer of '69 had got off to a cracking start, but I'm not sure if I'd echo Bryan Adams' words: 


'...Oh, when I look back now

That summer seemed to last forever

And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life...'



No comments:

Post a Comment