Wednesday, July 31, 2019

An Act Of Kindness


Photograph Andrew Carothers


A popular picnic was to the Braid Hills; there was a very shallow open cave where we would eat our picnic if the weather turned sour giving us some shelter. It served as a good base from which to play. On one occasion a group of us were setting out for a picnic; all that my brother Iain and I had was a bottle of water each which I'd stored in my small brown haversack. All the others had sandwiches and perhaps a few sweets. 

Hilda Hanlon

I don't know how but Hilda Hanlon (6/7 Oxgangs Avenue) somehow must have noticed this; she leaned out her window and threw down a tanner - threepence each and told us to get something at Jimmy's Green Van which was parked outside the stair. 

I bought us two packets of Golden Wonder crisps. Or was it Smith’s.





No comments:

Post a Comment