Saturday, July 6, 2019

Friday 9th July 1971


I worked for a good part of the day at the National Garage at the back of the Store on Colinton Mains Drive. Mr Munro the owner is a big, bluff sort of a character but is okay. I got the job through Iain and Ali Douglas who have both been working there too. I quite enjoy being at the garage and serving the petrol from the wee kiosk. The petrol's straight forward enough but it's a wee bit trickier with the oil 'n petrol mixture for the motor-bikes. 



There's a great smell about the place; it’s the mixture of petrol and heat. It's been another hot and sunny day with the sun beating down. I like the whole feel of the place; there's a certain timelessness and tradition about a garage. It's a wee bit messy with odds 'n ends and some car stuff lying around. I also like the free badges we get to distribute to the customers. On a warm, dreamy afternoon it's a good way to spend a school holiday. 

Pamela Baird

Later on I cycled down to Morningside Drive to re-introduce myself to Pamela Baird and pick up another job at Bairds Newsagents. I've always enjoyed working at Bairds - it's in my DNA. It's actually been a wee while since I've been in the shop. 

Mr Baird

The shop has a good feel to it with the double shop at the front with newspapers; chocolate; cigarettes; stationery and cards and a few toys and then the contrast of the smaller, secret world of the back shop where we fold the newspapers and make up the rounds; brew the tea as well as the wee sink and loo. 

Gaga picked up Iain and me and we went down to Porty where he treated us to a St Andrew’s Restaurant fish supper; they must easily be the best in the world. Like the weather, the golf is hotting up and there’s only a stroke between Lee Trevino and Tony Jacklin. We sat in and watched a great film, Robin Hood; I've always fancied a life in the greenwood. Before bed I settled back to read my comics. All 'n all a fantastic day - another excellent day of holiday and work too, but with lots of good stuff packed in there - happy days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment