Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Wednesday 18th August 1971 Note to Self: Beginning of School



Part of me always thinks this day will never come around especially during the first few days of the summer holidays yet here we are yet again. I wonder if this will be my last time around or will I stay on at school to sit my Highers. I guess it's probably likely to be my final year and the end of my boyhood as I'll have to go out and work. 

Although it should be all doom 'n gloom the first day back is actually the opposite partly because it's tinged with excitement. Also with me going to Boroughmuir it's loaded with people I've not seen all summer mainly because the school takes in pupils from all over Edinburgh so it's different from my pals at Oxgangs who attend Firhill and see their pals throughout July and August. 

Rather ironically because I had to go to see this chap at Lauriston Gardens I got a half day. It’s ironic because I guess the main reason for seeing him is to help to encourage me not to skive school so I've already only got a 50% attendance record whereas I would actually have put in a full shift at Viewforth today! 


He's a lovely bloke and we basically just had a wee blether. I'd gone in thinking I had to convince him I wasn’t mad but he quickly realised the fusing of the lights was just an accident and nothing sinister so by the end of our wee chat I suspect both parties came to the conclusion that it was a first and last meeting and that he's got far more serious cases to be attending to with kids in crisis; although we made a tentative appointment I've decided in my own mind I'm not going to bother going back. 


In the early evening Nana, Gaga and Aunt Heather were up from Porty to see us all. Late on I nipped up to the chippy then watched a little telly. 


Rather than ‘Dads Army’ I watched the first episode of ‘Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.’ It was about this knight; his philosophy is that since we all have to die it's best to do it with honour - discuss! I actually enjoyed it but it meant we couldn’t watch an hour of Captain Mainwaring et al on BBC 1; we could do with one of these fancy new video recorder machines that cost more than 6/2 Oxgangs Avenue - about 700 quid a shout! 



No comments:

Post a Comment