Sunday, August 11, 2019

Monday 16th August 1971


Edinburgh's David Jenkins winning 1971 European 400m Helsinski

For me I got up very late. 

I spread the word about my idea to hold an athletics competition up at Redford Barracks Stadium on the cinder athletics track. 


Well the word spread like wildfire and soon there were about forty of us all piling up there either walking up or on bikes and all in our various shorts, T-shirts, baseball boots and rubbers. What a sight it was seeing everyone climbing over the big metal fence; it was like we'd launched an attack on the Queen's Army! Fortunately there were no soldiers about or those who did see us just ignored us. We used the cinder track as well as the long jump pit. The track is great; you can fly along on it. Amongst doing all the organisation arranging the races and age groups as well as recording everything I managed to pick up four golds myself.


Everybody had great fun; it was a really big success and all down to BBC's David Coleman; the Europeans; and Scotland's inspirational David Jenkins! Amazing how something happening on the big world stage seeps through to a wee community like Oxgangs. A very happy day. 

However the air was taken out of my balloon a wee bit in that back home a lady had come up earlier about me to go the hospital on Wednesday. It's all about the skiving and the Biology lab incident! It's actually the day I go back to the school; the sunshine of the school summer holidays is about to come to an end when it meets the dark clouds of a new academic session at Boroughmuir Senior Secondary School. 

Gaga was up to see us and treated us all to Rissi's chips which I needed after all my exploits today.

No comments:

Post a Comment