Friday, August 9, 2019

Saturday 14th August 1971


I was down at Baird’s Newsagents for 6.00am. It was a big day and a big responsibility selling a big range of Saturday newspapers as well as fags 'n sweets around the City Hospital. I covered all the wards and despite one or two wee challenges managed fine. I put my back into it taking a wee bit of pride in the job. 


And then it was back home to Oxgangs via the City Hospital woods for a good breakfast of cornflakes 'n milk. We've managed to get a new replacement lock for the shed. It seems a shame we've had to pay out for that; it's like rubbing salt into the wound. As Mum says I suppose we just have to be pragmatic and move on. 

Come three o’clock I was back down to Baird’s to do the afternoon slot around the hospital; I easily sold all my Evening News'. There's less pressure in the afternoon and you can stroll around spending a wee bit time with some of the patients. 

Anyway my pockets are now jingling as I've got eight quid, a man's wage! 


In the evening Gaga and Nana were out to see us. The football season has started so I watched ‘Sportsreel’; it was the League Cup; Celtic and Rangers are in the same section and Celtic won 2-0. Bobby Murdoch was back looking fit again and stroking the ball around the park. Celtic got a penalty and a young guy called Kenny Dalglish calmly tied his laces and then stroked the ball past big Peter McCloy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment