Monday, August 12, 2019

Tuesday 17th August 1971


It's the last day of the school summer holidays so for most of us it was a mix of good 'n bad and sweet 'n sour. Good because we were still off school and squeezing the last juices from the summer's fruits; but bad because for me and everyone else we have to walk back through the school gates the morn.
Aye it's back to Hunters Tryst; or Firrhill or Boroughmuir. 


It's a funny old feeling; part of me would actually feel a wee buzz of excitement about going back if only I could handle the academic work; feel more secure; have some good friends there; and of course put in a decent shift both in my school attendance but also by studying after school too. But the reality is that without a magic fairy none of that is ever going to happen. I probably need some kind of a mentor who would make everything all right. The best I did at Burrie was in my last term of second year. I had the motivation in that I didn’t want the embarrassment of being left behind to repeat the year like some poor folk; plus I had direction and an externally imposed discipline whereby the old boy kept a beady eye on me


He required me to work at my studies each evening. I had a standing up desk (the side of the chest of drawers). All the time from my bedroom window I could see 'n hear the happy shouts of Boo-Boo; Les; Iain and all my pals out playing as well as the teams playing football up at The Field all enjoying themselves. I was able to get out later on but by then much of the fun had died down as had the football, my biggest pleasure. There was a mix of pleasure 'n pain doing that but it worked as I got my best results back then. I also felt that when I went into school that I was in control of a lot of the lessons and therefore felt more secure and I guess happier too. With third year over and it being such a disaster I've fallen so far behind that fourth year is going to be a nightmare and an ever downward spiral; what a disaster as it's my O level year but anyway who needs O levels! 


Anyway philosophising aside we all went back up to the stadium at Redford Barracks again. However this time we only got half way through our athletics meeting before the sudgers descended upon us and we all had to take to our heels and to make a very rapid retreat. Mind you what a flipping laugh we had as some of the wild-eyed stragglers were panicking as they tried unsuccessfully to hurriedly climb over the ten foot high surrounding fence. Some of them were either getting their tops caught on the fence or slipping back down as the soldiers advanced on them. It was blind panic! I hung around to give a few of them a hand or encouragement.


At one point I could hardly run back home for laughing! Anyway we all managed to escape without being captured by the enemy and we rendezvoused back at Oxgangs. What a flippin laugh and a great way to wrap up the 1971 school summer holidays which all n' all have been pretty braw as Oor Wullie might say; and like him we've enjoyed our adventures similar to him and his pals jumping the Stoorie Burn. Roll on Halloween 'n Christmas. I was just reflecting that one thing which I have been doing well is keeping my diary going every day.

Since the athletics was abandoned I organised a hopping competition across Oxgangs Avenue on the wee grass strip behind the bus stop. I managed 21 hops but only finished second. Hopping doesn’t half pummel the legs; good training too I expect. I've told Pamela Baird that's me for the papers now that I'm going back to Burrie the morn so I didn’t have to do the City Hospital run today. It's been an interesting experience each afternoon over the summer giving me an insight into life and people who are old 'n infirm and suffering; it's important to enjoy your good health 'n youth; it's easy to take running about for granted. 

At night Gaga was out with John; with Mum marrying John shortly I think they were out bonding. Meanwhile I had some juice 'n crisps for my supper. Boroughmuir beckons the morn as does my afternoon appointment to discuss why I spent half of third year skiving and playing truant. 



No comments:

Post a Comment